[ale] Why do they keep putting VGA on Netbooks?!?!

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Jan 30 22:49:46 EST 2011

Richard,

Thanks for clearing that up, sort of.

OK, you're saying that a DVI output port can easily drive a VGA
display.  OK, I get that, so, a NEW computer can drive an OLD monitor,
with an adapter.

But, you're also saying that an OLD computer with a VGA port CANNOT
easily drive a NEW monitor with a DVI input port without an expensive
converter.

That's a big problem.  What I meant by my compatibility comment is  that
the VGA output port is the most common, most ubiquitous, and most
pervasive video output available on all types of PC equipment.  ( I have
no idea about Mac, Sun, etc. )  So, every time I buy a new monitor or
projector, which probably happens more often than I buy computers, I
have to worry about whether it has a VGA input port so it will work with
my old equipment, some of which dates back to 2002.  Otherwise, I have
to worry about buying a converter in addition to the price of the monitor.

So, I guess I don't have a problem with them putting DVI on newer
computers, if you can easily adapt to VGA.  However, I DO have a problem
with them not putting VGA INPUTS on monitors and projectors and KVM's if
that's going to make it impossible to use older equipment.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 01/27/2011 08:19 AM, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> No. There are lots of flaws in your understanding.
> 1. DVI out (which is always DVI-I) includes both digital and analog.
> Therefore, it is easily "adapted" to VGA or HDMI via simple pin
> mapping. No electronics needed to do conversion.
> 2. DVI inputs (which are almost always DVI-D) will not accept DVI-A
> which is what you would have if you adapted VGA to DVI. This is
> because there is no D-A chipset backing that port.
> 3. VGA is not widely "compatible". All VGA signals start off digital
> inside the video card. They then pass through a D-A converter chipset.
> If that signal is sent to either a DVI port or the rare new
> DisplayPort both digital AND analog is available. This is compatible
> with ALL displays. If that signal is sent to VGA the digital is
> discarded and it is incompatible with most modern displays. If the
> video card uses HDMI only, there is no D-A conversion, they save money
> on the D-A chipset, and it is compatible with only the modern displays.
>
> Now that you know this I believe you can share in my frustration.
> "With great knowledge comes great frustration."
>
>> On Jan 27, 2011 6:57 AM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
>> <mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I presume you could adapt vga - dvi the same way you could adapt dvi -
>> vga. My Dell Inspiron 1525 has VGA and HDMI. However, my son's Dell
>> Inspiron 1545 does not have HDMI, so you have to check each model
>> number. They probably figure that VGA is still the most widely
>> compatible option. The trend now days seems to be fewer connector
>> options and fewer indicator lights. I can never tell when my son's
>> laptop is busy because it has no hard drive light. I hate that.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>> On 01/27/2011 01:19 AM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>>
>> > I complained about this 4 years ago. I can't believe I'm still finding
>> > myself saying "I want to ...
>>
>> (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you might want to
>> call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
>> mailing lists and such.  I don't always see new messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com