[ale] Home NAS

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jan 30 18:08:37 EST 2011

The wireless part of the requirements is what a wifi router is for and
shouldn't have anything to do with a NAS unless you want to pay more.

For backups, you just want a disk area to write from each client on the
NAS. For Linux and Windows, there are lots and lots of FLOSS tools that
do this. Windows7-Pro has a built-in network backup tool that works just
fine.  Here's a short list of other backup softwares:
- Duplicati / Duplicity (was extremely slow in my testing, traditional
backup methods + encryption)
- BackupPC http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
- Bacula
- Amanda
- rdiff-backup (my favorite, reverse incrementals, FAST, efficient,
Linux + Windows, but no GUI)
- Back-In-Time (GUI, very simple, needs hard links)
- rBackup http://rbackup.lescigales.org/
- rsnapshot (no GUI, dependent on hard links)
- LVM2 snapshots
- ZFS + zsend

I think pros/cons of backup software would be a great discussion for the
list at large.

IMHO, rsync-only doesn't cut it. Without differential backups, you can
still end up losing all your data if a virus hits and you don't notice
it before mirroring everything. rsync is better than no backups, just
not optimal for the effort when rdiff-backup command line is almost the
same as rsync, but provides efficient, incremental, reverse backups
(i.e. latest backup looks like a mirror and older backups are compressed
diffs).

Offsite data - I'd be interested in how others do it for 1-2TB worth and
what it costs annually assuming 1 full restore a year. I'm being highly
selective for what is pushed today, but there's always a desire for more
to be pushed.