[ale] Home NAS

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sun Jan 30 16:39:29 EST 2011

On 01/30/2011 01:33 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> I bought an APC Back-UPS ES 750.  I have a computer with a 4 core CPU
> and several hard drives on the UPS.  I also have two monitors on the
> same circuit.  These systems draw about 250 W at idle and about 400 W
> when the PC is fully loaded and running hard.  Don't plug laptops,
> which have their own battery, into the battery part of the UPS, unless
> their batteries don't work.

don't plug anything into the battery backup section of the UPS that you
DON'T NEED RUNNIGN when the power is out.. maybe ONE monitor but not
TWO.. I have 2 UPSes here, PC on one with the monitor & CPU on battery.
The other ( 350 ) UPS has the modem & router. printers, laptops, other
stuff get put on the surge protected side only...
then tell the UPS to shut down after 5 mintues ( OR LESS). If the power
goes out & YOU are THERE, YOU CAN SHUT IT DOWN ANYWAY. If you aren't
there, it doesn't really matter how long it stays up anyway, does it?

--
Paul Cartwright