[ale] MoBo works with kernel 2.6.29 but not newer.

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 20:42:22 EST 2011

On 01/28/2011 02:24 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> On 01/28/2011 12:16 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm...  Maybe "yes".  Maybe "no".  Maybe barking up wrong tree.
>>
>> Fire up that F11 and tell us the output from:
>>
>> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>>
>> Is it possible this is an older motherboard what was an i586?  F12
>> switched from i586 to i686 and a number of the old AMD 586's and some of
>> the earlier Geode cpu's no longer work.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike

> Yeh, but then why does it work if I use the onboard video as my
> primary video controller. I am able to get the PCIe or PCI video card
> to work after booting with the proprietary driver Catalyst, haven't
> figured out how to do it with the OSS drivers yet. My goal right now
> is to get this thing to boot with utlimately my HD 5770 card as either
> the only video controller with both my primary monitor panel (on my
> desk) and the HDTV as a parttime secondary display off the HDD 5770 or
> possible have it off the onboard video. I'll then concern myself with
> the rest. As far as I know the MoBo is not actually an older board as
> it is identified as using the AMD 890GX chipset and the CPU is
> identified as K10 Family 64bit and no mention of Geode that I remember.
>
> I will try booting F11 again and check that what you mentioned. The
> only thing different besides version is that it is a 32bit kernel and
> not a 64bit. Either at the time I did not have a 64bit CPU or it
> wasn't readily available, I can't remember.
Okay so on a hunch I downloaded F 14 32bit burned the CD and booted fine
using the PCIe card as my primary video and the onboard was still
operational. Not too sure what this is telling me. My first guess is
upper memory above the 3.2GB range. Any opinions? I could play musical
memory moving them to the other slots and then swapping one stick with
the other.........