[ale] Mount a remote NTFS partition

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Jan 28 14:02:42 EST 2011

Thank you so much for chiming in on this Michael!  Indeed, thank you to
all who have
chimed in on this.  I have yet to get back to this project but will be
working on it this
weekend.  In the meantime I'll be reviewing all of the responses thus
far in greater
detail.  Many thanks to all....

Someone along the way mentioned not remembering what the "$" denoted in
a M$ share.

As for the use of "$" with Window$ shares...the "$" denotes
Administrative shares used
by M$.  There are default shares created by the OS and a few of them are
"C$" and
subsequent named shares for each partition seen by M$.  A new share for
a given
partition can be created by the user/admin but they will not use the "$"
in the name.

One of the main uses for "$" shares that I've leveraged is accessing
entire drives
administratively over the LAN to do maintenance.

Will be reading your responses and post results......thanks!   Rich in
Lilburn