[ale] Mount a remote NTFS partition

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 23:47:35 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org> wrote:
> This is what I expect will be an elementary exercise for most of you but
> keep in mind I'm starting to dig into the CLI this is new to me...
>
> I have a pair of machines (networked) in my LAN, one running Ubuntu 9.10
> (w/Samba) and sharing with a M$ XP box with the following shares:
>
> D$
> Production
>
> The name of the M$ box is \\Studio and the name of the partition
> administratively shared as "d$" is "Storage".
>
> I have created a folder in Linux at "\media\D" to act as a mount point for
> the Storage drive "d$" share in XP AND I can browse to and from each machine
> successfully.  My only problem is that I don't have the proper syntax to
> mount d$ to /media/D in Ubuntu.  Samba is installed and running fine...I can
> query and "see" \\Studio\d$ and/or \\Studio\Production without issue..
>
> Any learned *NIX insight to aid this noob convert from M$?

<SNARK> fdisk that windows box and you'll learn Linux pretty quick! </SNARK>

mount -t cifs //Studio/d\$  /media/D --verbose -o user=username

NOTE: I recall it is "bad practice" to have shares as foo$. Something
about that being a low level identifier (?) Don't recall details but
it's supposed to be better to create a folder to share out rather than
a full drive drive.

> Rich in Lilburn

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.