[ale] Creating a Pseudo Sound Card

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 26 13:33:32 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guy,
>
> Need a bit of help. I am trying to set up Linphone on a server that
> doesn't come with a sound card. I been told that it can be done. But
> when searching Google, I don't see anything on this. Has anyone done
> this done before don't mind share how I can do this.

So the basic premise is that you want to use an audio application, but
without audio hardware?

In order to do something like that, you'd need something that ALSA can
talk to.  This could be a compatible voice/data/fax modem that ALSA
can treat as a sound card, or a USB headset (which presents as a sound
device if done correctly) such that you can use ALSA with that.  Other
than that, you'd have to write (or find, if one is already written)
some sort of a program that could use the network as a bus for the
audio transit, and written in such a way as to implement the ALSA API
so that normal sound applications can use it.

(I am assuming that the program of which you speak is written to the
ALSA API, but if it is not, then substitute PulseAudio or OSS for ALSA
and it is the same basic idea).