[ale] semi [OT] running a robot with linux

John jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jan 25 07:47:22 EST 2011

Space Shuttle GPCs?  What would you like to know? I wouldn't call them
"tiny" since they were modified IBM 360 mainframes, there are 5 on-board
with at least 3 running and checking each other in a redundant set.  I
wrote GN&C code for AP101/S computers for 5 years in HAL/S + about 10
other languages that most people have never heard about.

Those systems each had 108KB of RAM when I started there, but that was
upgraded to 256KB.  It wasn't about CPU as much as IO channels - except
during guidance calculations. There were thousands of redundant channels
for input/output.  I only know about 1 software error that impacted a
shuttle mission ... and it was during satellite catch, release, catch,
release, catch, release .... tests.  A few months later, a buddy changed
that error accumulator from single precision into double precision and
forced it to be reset to zero at the beginning of every new guidance
calculation. Fairly simple fix. That code hadn't been touched in 15+
years previously.

Lots of stories from my time at JSC working on shuttle, space station
and in the FCRs.