[ale] looking for a reasonably priced color laser printer

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Sat Jan 22 22:12:41 EST 2011

Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> I have a minolta color laser that has just bitten the dust.  I'd like to
> replace it with another color laser that is linux friendly.  Suggestions
> would be appreciated.

Thanks muchly for all the input.  I ended up picking up a Lexmark
C543dn.  The linuxprinting.org website says the C543 works perfect, so I
thought I'd take a chance on the C543dn (d = duplex printing) (n = network)

So far I'm very pleased with it.  Quiet, fast.  Duplex printing works
for Linux and Mac.  Got it on my network.  Got the rpm driver from
linuxprinting.org.  Lexmark has an rpm driver, but it's 3 years older,
so I'm sticking with the one I've got.

Printing from Centos, Mac OSX.  Can't get the drivers installed for my
wife's XP school laptop, because they have them locked down.  They give
you instructions for installing a printer, but you have to have an *.inf
and all the lexmark drivers are in an exe archive, which never
completely unpacks the driver before trying to install, at which time,
you get the message, you need to be admin.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."