[ale] semi [OT] running a robot with linux

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Fri Jan 21 14:09:14 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

> I've been using the Teensy++( http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html )
> for a project.   At $24 it's reasonable to try and if it doesn't work,
> you haven't wasted much money.  I've cut a PC board with the Teensy++
> and the WIZ812MJ Ethernet module
> (http://www.saelig.com/product/ETH042.htm, $19.50) to give me a ethernet
> connected device with 130K of flash (program) memory, 8K of RAM and 4K
> of EEPROM.  Believe me you can do a lot with that much memory.  It uses
> the Arduino development package and is extremely easy to use.  The
> Arduino development platform is by far the most user friendly one I've
> come across.  It's easy to run on Linux since the IDE is written in Java.
>
> It uses the avr-gcc compiler which isn't 100% C++ but it has a lot of
> the features.  Here's some sample code from one of the libraries.
>
> class Matrix
> {
>   private:
>     uint8_t _pinData;
>     uint8_t _pinClock;
>     uint8_t _pinLoad;
>
> There's a lot of software written for the Arduino platform that is
> tailored to interfacing to the outside world.  Since you are an EET,
> you'll not have any problem building the electronics to interface to
> most anything.
>
> The Teensy++ has 46 I/O pings 8 10 bit A/D channels, 9 PWD outputs  a
> UART, an I2C and an SPI port.
>
> For instance there are motor control libraries, servo libraries,
> ethernet libraries, A/D and D/A libraries, etc.
>
> Besides, it's fun to watch an led blink and know you're the one that
> made it happen.  :)
>
> Jim.

Does it have a web server library?
The application that I have in mind would require an embedded web interface.
That is, the end user of my project would connect to and configure the
Teensy using their webbrowser.
I need SSL security and would need to serve simple web services and
well as webpages.

--
Michael Potter