[ale] How to mount LVM partitions

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 20 15:44:25 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 15:11 -0500, Cornelis van Dijk wrote:
> On my multiboot machine I have a Fedora system that i sometimes would
> like to mount. Whenever I try (as root from within SuSE 11.2) I get a
> message
>
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
>
> Is there a way around this?

Try using "pvscan" to see if it detects your LVM physical volumes (this
command and all the other ones in this mail will require root, so run
with sudo or at a root shell).  If so, then vgscan will tell you the
volume groups, and lvscan will tell you the logical volumes.

If all those commands work as expected, then you can just
"mount /dev/{VOLUME_GROUP_NAME}/{LOGICAL_VOLUME_NAME} /path/to/mountpoint" and everything should be good to do.

If those commands do not work, paste their output and we can
troubleshoot from there.

	--- Mike