[ale] mail server with dynamic IP?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 20 10:57:44 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 10:31 -0500, Chuck Peters wrote:
> I can't say how most email servers are currently configured by
> default, but when I set it up years ago it wasn't part of the standard
> apt-get install mail server and it works...  Did you set it up to use
> TLS?
>
> Your trausch.us is hosted at Google so how would you check the logs
> there?

I don't.  But I manage mail systems for others that are not running at
Google.  And yes, TLS is indeed enabled.

I've been using Google for my services for quite some time now, for no
other reason than it is most convenient.  I get all their services for
free, and they tie in with our phones very nicely, making it pretty easy
to share information between the three of us at home.

However, I am considering leaving them.  Things are not working as well
as they used to, it seems that problem reports go unheard (at least,
I've not received responses, nor have I observed fixes).  Of course the
spam filter is to kill for, but that doesn't make up for the fact that
lately, I've been having to do extra work to make sure I actually _see_
all my mail.

The only thing that is stopping me from leaving is the fact that I would
then lose integration with our phones---primarily the calendar
functionality, but things like Chrome to Phone and so forth are also
most excellent.

If I ever manage to get the time to do so, I'd like to write (or find) a
suite of applications for the Android system that integrate nicely with
some personally-hosted and integrated app suite like GAFYD.  In fact if
anyone knows of such a thing, I am, believe me, all ears.

	--- Mike