[ale] laptop diagnostics

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Jan 19 17:30:33 EST 2011

On 01/19/2011 05:16 PM, Jack Schneider wrote:
> Hey,Paul
>
> Just finished fixing a dell laptop.. Changed the DVD-optical.  Went to
> the dell website http://support.dell.com put in the service tag #.
> (usually on the bottom) and then search for the manual, ~800 available.
>
> service manual was available  for this box...

I have 4 Dell boxes in this house, I know how to find the manuals &
service tags, updates, bios, software...
what I am unfamiliar with is laptop maintenance ( hardware-wise) in
general. In all my years of PC maintenance I never did anything to
laptops except add memory or swap hard drives.
this one is broke. It doesn't boot, yet I did see it come up to where it
showed Windows was actually booting once, then the lights went out.
Sometimes you press the ON button & lights flicker, most times nothing.
I know how to replace a power supply on a desktop, not a laptop...

SO, at this point I think it is spare parts..
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800