[ale] [TOTALLY OT] road trains - what I've been squawking we need for years - fewer drivers!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:42:43 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Preston Boyington <preston.lists at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> > The fewer idiots we have piloting cars, the few wrecks so we can make
> > them lighter. The lighter the car, the less fuel is needed to move it.
> >
> > I welcome our robotic overlords (as long as it's not running a variant
> > of windows :-)
>

> "Another story in our continuing series, the 16 deaths today in a 50 mph
> construction zone along Interstate 285 were apparently the result of a
> passenger plugging in an iPod after the vehicle wirelessly updated the
> motion control system.  It is thought that the user was trying the
> latest kernel version in an attempt to get the audio to play correctly
> while the communication system was in operation..."

"In other news, DHS is reporting that transport computer systems are still
down across the nation as the 'drive-by sql-injection attacks' continued
after the link between Microsoft, Oracle and the nations interstate road
driving software was revealed to have a security flaw. The Linux Foundation,
adamantly denying any involvement in the current attacks, was warning of
poor design during the bidding phase of the project and is now suing the
Federal government for locking them out of the bidding claiming 'unfair
regulations that appeared at the last minute prevent them from qualifying
for submission'.

Neither Microsoft nor Oracle had a comment prepared as their email was down
as well."

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.