[ale] [TOTALLY OT] road trains - what I've been squawking we need for years - fewer drivers!

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Jan 18 11:34:17 EST 2011

Given that presumably we all have seen systems go belly up the idea that
we would all embrace this as a be all and end all solution is scary.
Typically the moron that causes an accident in his own car at worst
takes out 1 or 2 others at the same time (and often enough not even
that).

Imagine instead a "train" on the Oakland Bay Bridge at the time of the
last earthquake where one poor drive slid into a large gap caused by one
of the sections falling - would that train continue to push car after
car into such a gap?   This is only one screwup I can imagine - there
are dozens of others.

You guys might want to read Robert A. Heinlein's "Blowups Happen" to see
his story about government mass movement system and issues with same.