[ale] OT -- Questions about how to get funds for open source

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 17 18:18:21 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 17:53 -0500, Chuck Payne wrote:
> I am Ambassador for openSUSE. They are the ones that are asking me to
> travel. I work in Midtown for a local VIOP company. I don't want to go
> into much more, because I don't want to paint a bad picture. The work
> I do for openSUSE is volunteer. They do cover the cost, but not a 100%
> like you would think if you worked for a company. Like when I have
> done the launch parties, that all out of my pocket.
>
> I am only asking because to travel does take a bit of money.
>
> I hope that clears it up.

Then it is a hobby.  Not all hobbies are cheap.

From: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Ambassadors

Q: What do I have to do?

A: That's up to you! We have suggestions, but if you can think of new
ways to spread the word about openSUSE and help new users and
contributors join the project, we're all ears. Here's some of the ways
we see Ambassadors working to reach out to new users and contributors:

      * Speak at local events like Linuxfests, Linux User Group
        meetings, and other gatherings where people may be interested in
        learning about Linux, open source, and the openSUSE Project.
      * Help out in the openSUSE booth at events.
      * Plan events, installfests, and openSUSE Launch parties in your
        area.
      * Be a friendly "face" on openSUSE mailing lists, forums, and IRC
        channels, answer questions about use of openSUSE and
        contribution to the openSUSE Project.
      * Help manage social media groups related to openSUSE.
      * Show your coworkers, friends, and family members how to switch
        to openSUSE from Windows or Mac OS X.
      * Come up with new and creative ways to promote openSUSE locally
        and globally.
      * Serve as a regional contact for openSUSE.
      * Help distribute openSUSE DVDs/media to other Ambassadors.
      *

Only do what you can afford to do.  If traveling is too expensive focus
your efforts at a local level.

Chris