[ale] OT -- Questions about how to get funds for open source

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:53:16 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> I'm having a hard time understanding as to why you are working for a
> company that is asking you to travel but can not reimburse you for your
> expenses.  Seems like the easy solution is not to travel.  Maybe this is
> a startup that is low on funds and to get your product noticed you must
> make appearances.
>
> Many of these OSS companies make money on the service.  Sugar is a fine
> example.  Their free product is okay and most people can get by with it.
> The paid product is better.  Their paid product includes modules,
> customizations, and data storage where you are on your own with the free
> one.  People like me will stick with the free because I am my own Linux
> support.  Companies that have all Winders techs will pay.
>

> When you say VOIP I have to wonder if you may be talking about Digium.
> There are plenty other VOIP companies around this area.

Chris,

I am Ambassador for openSUSE. They are the ones that are asking me to
travel. I work in Midtown for a local VIOP company. I don't want to go
into much more, because I don't want to paint a bad picture. The work
I do for openSUSE is volunteer. They do cover the cost, but not a 100%
like you would think if you worked for a company. Like when I have
done the launch parties, that all out of my pocket.

I am only asking because to travel does take a bit of money.

I hope that clears it up.

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363