[ale] how do I increase Linux swap file size?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jan 17 17:52:32 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 17:21 -0500, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hello all,

> My main hard drive on this machine is partitioned as follows:

> 157 GB NTFS Windows Vista
> 97 GB EXT4 Linux (Ubuntu 10.04)
> 8 GB Linux swap
> 235 GB NTFS Windows Data (Also usable in Ubuntu)

> I normally keep my swap file set for 2X system ram.  I recently upgraded
> the computer to 8 GB of RAM, so I would like to non destructively shrink
> the last partition, while keeping it at the end of the disk.  Then, I
> want to increase the swap file to 16 GB.  Anybody know how to do that,
> preferably with a graphical utility, under Ubuntu?

Sounds like a straight forward job for gparted.

You may need to boot from a run-live to do it, so the file systems are
not mounted.  You can do it manually with resize2fs and others but if
you don't really REALLY know what you are doing, it can be a receipe for
disaster.  Highly recommend going the gparted route.  It will be time
consuming, if you are moving the start point of an existing partition,
then it can become very time consuming, especially expanding a partition
and moving it up on the disk.  Just deal.  It will cost you some time to
let gparted redo the partitioning but it will be done correctly.  It
will also deal with resizing the file systems if you don't have anything
real bizzare.

Mike