[ale] how do I increase Linux swap file size?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Jan 17 17:21:31 EST 2011

Hello all,

My main hard drive on this machine is partitioned as follows:

157 GB NTFS Windows Vista
97 GB EXT4 Linux (Ubuntu 10.04)
8 GB Linux swap
235 GB NTFS Windows Data (Also usable in Ubuntu)

I normally keep my swap file set for 2X system ram.  I recently upgraded
the computer to 8 GB of RAM, so I would like to non destructively shrink
the last partition, while keeping it at the end of the disk.  Then, I
want to increase the swap file to 16 GB.  Anybody know how to do that,
preferably with a graphical utility, under Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Ron