[ale] Backup Nirvana - bootable backup

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 17 09:45:02 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 08:07 -0500, Adrin wrote:

> Sad thing is that for the same price you can't get a good windows
> crash
> recovery.

I do not know.  I restored a couple of PCs this weekend for selling and
discovered Hiren's Boot CD and Drive XML.

Using this product (free) I was able to create a data partition on the
first machine and use DriveXML to back it up.  I then transferred that
data to my Linux desktop.  The 2nd machine was identical so I restored
that data on the second machine.

I will have to agree on the quality of Lone Star.  I used it when I did
SCO and it would create backup tapes that could be restored using a
bootable disk.  DriveXML could do the equivalent but as your Windows
partition got bigger and bigger you would need space to store the
backup.