[ale] Backup Nirvana - bootable backup

John jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jan 17 07:14:56 EST 2011

Two identically sized disks.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb  bs=102400

Cloned. OS agnostic.  Gets everything (including partition table, mbr,
and unused disk areas).

How you connect the 2nd disk is up to you, I use eSATA directly on the
laptop.  Key thing is to boot from other media, like a flash USB OS, not
either disk.  This isn't my backup strategy, just my OS cloning one.
The "outputfile" can be on another machine, over the network, by
combining pipes and ssh. GigE is nice. Once on the other machine, I
create a text file that shows the exact command used to create the file
so restores are easy to figure out.  I've used this on 3.5" disks that
weren't the same size, provided the target was larger. Worked there
too.  Of course, we all know to keep the OS partitions as small as
possible and place data on different partitions so the clone stuff
doesn't need to be too large.  This is an easy way to migrate to larger
disks when needed, then use gparted to expand partitions.

Cloning does not replace incremental backups or a normal backup
strategy, since the source can be infected the day before you clone and
hadn't realized the problem yet.