[ale] Ripping audio cds

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sat Jan 15 13:50:00 EST 2011

I use Grip on Gentoo to go from CD to FLAC and I have my own Python
script that uses sox and lame to make MP3s.  So I have a pair of similar
directory trees, one with FLACs and one with MP3s.  Something I'm not
doing right and need to fix (because my daughter gripes at me) is that
I'm not handling track order properly somewhere along the line...When a
directory of songs (representing an album) gets pulled into an iTunes
library, I want to have it where the songs on each album will play in
the original order.  I've been doing it by starting song names with
track numbers (e.g., "01_tom_sawyer.mp3) but that screws up browsing for
songs by name on the iPhone and other devices.  Can I maintain track
number info from CD to FLAC to MP3 or do I need to have a more elaborate
Grip configuration that makes FLACs and MP3s at the same time?