[ale] hottest mirrors for Ubuntu

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:34:55 EST 2011

I still can't figure out why us.archive.ubuntu.com is in the UK.  I've
tried lookups from dns servers all across the US and they all end up
pointing to hosts in the UK.

Anyway, I used to have a script to check the mirrors.  It would ping
each for latency, pick the best ones, download a file from each, then
choose the one with the best transfer speed, and then install those
into your sources.list.

I'll see if I can dig it up if anyone has any interest.

--chip

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> Search the January ALE archive for iTunes. That was the poster's topic of
> concern.
>
> On Jan 9, 2011 3:38 PM, "Ron Frazier" <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> wrote:
>
> Richard,
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.  Yes, I am using opendns.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron
>
> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 12:25 -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>> This probably relates back to the DNS ...

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....