[ale] Better ISP?

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Thu Jan 6 13:25:54 EST 2011

AT&T provides an ample amount of line filters for DSL for a charge of
$12.99.  They come with a starter kit which includes CD tools for
configuring your modem (Window$-based of course) -- but as I said before
this is not necessary for to get set-up.

In our case we don't use land-lines (VOIP or mobiles) so don't need the
filters.  We too use "rabbit ears" and watch mostly GPB and some Fox for
American Idol (my wife) and football (GO PACKERS!!!)  We provide our own
router (soon to become a full-blown Vyata system) and switch (moving to
a 24-port switch) and VIOLA!

Leasing a "modem" isn't a bad way to go but I've rarely had issues with
modems.  I purchased the AT&T equipment and haven't had issue so don't
miss having to pay an additional charge each month for their use.

Our entertainment budget for TV?

Netflix        $9.99 (unlimited streaming & 1-disk at a time)
AT&T        $19.99 (promo deal for 12-months)
TV             FREE (open-air - just get a really good antenna!)

I have a server ready to be built-up and am looking to build a Mythbuntu
box this year as an upgrade to our entertainment system.  If AT&T does
as they've said they will, we should be able to have Uverse (data) this
year to support it all.

RinL