[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 2k)

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:31:46 EST 2011

Pulling out the way back machine, I recall the first computer I ever built
(actually upgraded). I started out with a genuine IBM PC XT as I recall, at
least it did have a genuine IBM Color Graphics Card and Quadchrome CGA
monitor. So I bought a hot new 12MHz motherboard & CPU and put it in the box
and no video! I actually went through 3 motherboards till I got one that ran
the ISA bus at a slower clock speed closer to what the original IBM PC did
(4.77MHz w/ 4 wait states as I recall). The problem was that my fast NEW
motherboard was too fast for my slow OLD  CGA card. Perhaps you are
experiencing a similar race condition (hot card w/ lots of RAM not finishing
initializing before the POST moves on to the next device?). Maybe try
setting the BOOT options in BIOS to the slowest possible, ie, do NOT enable
"quick boot" mode and also try with BIOS defaults (the failsafe, not the
optimal).