[ale] Better ISP?

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Jan 5 15:20:22 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 14:22 -0500, Richard Faulkner wrote:

> That I remember, Comcast's customer service left a lot to be
> desired....but it's been a while and we have no desire or intention of
> feeding that "beast".

All the big companies are awful.  I don't think you can service millions
of customers well.  Comcast reps are usually friendly and usually speak
good English.  They may or may not be helpful depending on whether your
problem is in their flowchart.  Different divisions usually don't
communicate with each other about your problem.  You always have to be
prepared to escalate if you're not getting help, and aggressively stand
up for your rights.  (I have the number to the executive offices.)  They
did screw up my telephone for 2 weeks when installing cable TV causing
me to pull out my hair and swear, but that's another story.

> up.  On that we stream video from Netflix to our 40" Samsung have a
> couple of laptops and 5-6 other devices feeding off of the web plus a
> VOIP phone (Vonage).  All of that stressing our connection and it just
> keeps working.

As I recall, a Netflix stream is about 2.5 Mbps, voip is about 256 Kbps
but both directions.  As long as you don't add much else, you should be
fine.  I download tons of podcasts, which sometimes seem slow even at 20
Mbps.

Ron