[ale] Better ISP?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:18:24 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Having been a raving fan on Speakeasy for years, their latest corporate
> owner
> > is doing the deed I won't tolerate - dumping their fantastic, US based
> support
> > for an offshore unit.
> >
> > So I recently jumped ship. Comcast business class is not available
> everywhere
> > (yet) but it's not much more than residential services and you get
> basically a
> > fat pipe and no restrictions other than don't be a spammer. They will
> nickle
> > and dime you to death on IP addresses ($5/mo for a single?!?!?!). I've
> had one
>
> $5?  When I was researching Comcast Business Class it was $14.99/mo for
> 1 static IP, and $19.99/mo for 5.  (I'm planning to get CBC when I move
> to the burbs later this year).

It may be $15. It was a stupid amount of cash and the sales rep admitted as
much.

> Do they run new wires outside or inside or both?  I suspect that where
> I'll want the device inside the house is on the complete opposite side
> from where the wires enter the house.  Luckily it's an unfinished
> basement, so shouldn't be too hard to run the wire across it.  :)

The new line was from pole to "modem". After the modem you run cat5e on your
own. Pick a central location with a power socket nearby and pull wires
around the house - OR - plug in a wireless router running ddwrt and crank up
the output signal :-)

> > Installers were very interested when they saw my linux laptop I brought
> down
> > for testing. So I burned a live CD for them to take with them :-)
>
> I'll have to think about this.
>
> Thanks for the report, tho.  Glad to know that my plan is viable.
>
> -derek

>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.