[ale] Tivo questions

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Jan 4 20:30:20 EST 2011

On 01/04/2011 04:28 PM, Drifter wrote:

> Cosco has a tivo box on the shelf:
>
> It says it is a Tivo Premiere, Model#: TCD746320
>
> Allegedly has a hard drive that can hold up to "45 hours of HD recording."
>
> Is this a good buy at $89 or is it a model about to be discontinued?
>
> Box also indicates I will need a "cable card." Am I going to have any
> trouble getting one from Comcast? Or is Comcast actively trying to
> block useage of Tivo?
>
> Given what Comcast is charging me for the recording box, this would
> pay for itself in short order.
>
> Sean

No idea if it's going to be discontinued soon, but I have a TiVo
premiere myself.  Getting the cable card from Comcast was no trouble,
but does require an installer to come out.  They charge $1.99/mo for the
cable card.  TiVo service (for getting your data information) is $13/mo.

Personally, the TiVo is far superior to the Comcast DVR.  My old Comcast
DVR had frequent problems, and they had no apparent incentive to improve
their software.  TiVo does push down new firmwares with new features,
and I appreciate that.