[ale] Ubuntu and the price of Unity

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:11:27 EST 2011

James Sumners wrote:
<snipped>
> That's precisely my point. GNOME doesn't have to use Unity. The
> article implies that GNOME has to choose between Shell and Unity. They
> don't. So there is no reason they should fear that their code no
> longer belongs to them.

I can't help but think that the biggest/real problem that GNOME has with
Canonical is the simple fact that one of the most popular distros is
dropping them in favor of another desktop.  If Unity is successful then
other distros will emulate it and at that point GNOME becomes "just
another desktop environment".

(apologies if this has been said.  I'm late to the thread)