[ale] unable to login after mess up

Damon Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Feb 28 20:59:23 EST 2011

On 2/26/2011 10:25 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
> Thanks for your time and attention.
> Last night, out of sheer frustration and stupidity, I completely
> uninstalled the Myth portion from the MythUbuntu install.
> After this, I cleaned up the folders related to mytv.
> I then tried to login but I am blocked at the initial login screen.
> My password is correct since I can putty to this session from another
> machine.
> I tried all Sessions, Mythubuntu, Xfce, User Defined.
> I then used the option Recovery, logged in and did an sudo apt-get
> upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
> Both were a success.
> However after reboot, I am unable to login again.
> So what gives ?\

No idea, but you could try to do cntrl-alt-F1, log in as your user.  If
this works, then cd /var/log/; sudo tail -f messages auth.log syslog

Then hit ctrl-alt-FX where X is your X-sessions, and try to log in.  If
you fail, the reason will be outputed in the logs you are tailing on
virt-term-1.

Then we will start to have a clue.

HTH!
> -Narahari