[ale] ubuntu create another user and remove old user

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Mon Feb 28 21:01:41 EST 2011

On 02/28/2011 08:48 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:
> On 02/28/2011 08:15 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
>> Friends:
>>
>> I have created a user called devpid and it is the only user account in
>> Ubuntu 10.10.
>>
>> I selected the autologin option for this user devpid and when I do
>> sudo, the password used for this devpid user works.
>>
>> Now I need to create user called just devuser instead of devpid.
>>
>> I want to be able to make this new user devuser the only user and
>> removed devpid.  Also I want to give devuser the rights to be sudo.
>>
>> How do I do that in Ubuntu ?
>>
>> -Narahari
>
> #sudo vi /etc/sudoers
>
> When sudoers opens, check if there is a group shown as a sudoers group
> 'admin' is the one on my machine.  The sudoers file says it can be
> edited only with the visudo program.  I have never had any issues
> editing it with vi.

To be clear, sudo doesn't care what application you use to edit it.  The
significance of using visudo is that it edits a copy of the file and
verifies the syntax of the file prior to replacing /etc/sudoers with the
new version.  This is significant because, if /etc/sudoers is
syntactically incorrect, sudo refuses to allow ANYONE to sudo.  (This is
not a bug; it's an important security feature.)

> $ id devpid
>
> output shows the groups devpid is a member of.  'admin' should be one of
> those groups.
>
> # groupadd wheel

I'm not sure why you'd want to add a new group named wheel.  Ubuntu
creates an "admin" group in /etc/sudoers in all installs.

> then add you user to the new admin group
>
> # usermod -a -G admin devuser

David