[ale] cpu load 8.5 on usb to usb move

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Feb 28 10:17:29 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 07:56 -0500, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 16:24 -0500, JD wrote:
> >> I prefer external connections not to have direct access to the
> >> internal
> >> computer RAM without any security.
> >>
> http://www.astalavista.com/files/file/9829-memory-forensics-over-the-ieee-1394-interface/
> >
> > It would seem that it can be disabled (possibly, I have not verified
> > that).  But boy it would sure be useful to have a port that
> functions
> > still even when the OS has died.  Imagine how easy it would be for
> > anyone to write programs down to the bare-metal---imagine the
> utility to
> > operating system developers and the like.
>
> Imagine the security issues. :)

Very true, though I would make the argument that virtually everything
that is useful has security considerations.  Running servers, writing
code, designing systems, and everything else that has anything to do
with a computer, really.

Of course, nothing says insecurity like a large group of humans.  :-P

	--- Mike