[ale] cpu load 8.5 on usb to usb move

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:14:39 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 16:24 -0500, JD wrote:
>>> I prefer external connections not to have direct access to the
>>> internal
>>> computer RAM without any security.
>>> http://www.astalavista.com/files/file/9829-memory-forensics-over-the-ieee-1394-interface/
>>
>> It would seem that it can be disabled (possibly, I have not verified
>> that).  But boy it would sure be useful to have a port that functions
>> still even when the OS has died.  Imagine how easy it would be for
>> anyone to write programs down to the bare-metal---imagine the utility to
>> operating system developers and the like.
>
> Imagine the security issues. :)

Hi! I'm a crafty net packet. I just overwrote your kernel stack and as
soon as you start a new process I'll transfer control of your system
to Mr. Bad Mojo on the net in ScrewUsersLandovia. MUWAHAHAHA!

:-)

>>       --- Mike

> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.