[ale] cpu load 8.5 on usb to usb move

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Feb 26 20:29:12 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 19:06 -0500, Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 02/26/2011 11:00 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
> > I don't yet have any USB 3.0 devices, but I am looking forward to
> > testing them out to see how well they work compared to USB 2.0 ones.
> > The motherboard that I bought when my last system died has 2 USB 3.0
> > ports.
>
> I'm curious if Thunderbolt means that USB 3.0 is DOA for at least some
> classes of devices
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface).

Huh.  I must have been mistaken; I thought USB 3.0 removed the
host-managed communication from the bus.  I guess not.  So CPU load will
likely still be a problem with it.

Thunderbolt looks interesting, but it seems that it's going to be ages
before it becomes relevant.  At least, if history is any indication when
it comes to new interfaces.  And it seems to be partially a throwback to
SCSI, where you can only have 7 items on a chain.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be too much longer before everything is either
optical or completely wireless.  And probably not much longer than that
before everything is specified and implemented in terms of software.
We'll just be running computers that have general purpose radios in
them, and that'll be that.

And that'll be really bloody annoying, too.

	--- Mike