[ale] Absolutely deplorable Linux quiz

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Feb 26 07:51:01 EST 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Pat Regan wrote:

> Stumbleupon just gave me this page.  It is horrendous.  After seeing
> how poorly worded some of the question were I just had to click through
> for my score.  I can forgive them for a technicality on question number
> 1...
>
> The first oddly phrased question is probably number 4, I had no idea
> what they were really trying to get out of question 5.  Getting marked
> wrong for number 9 when I picked the correct answer (none of the above)
> is just ridiculous...
>
> http://www.careerride.com/Linux-Interview-Questions.aspx

Once you have a lot of experience with people with English as their second
language, you get used to such wording. I sound like an idiot savant when
attempting Spanish...

It's still a poor set of questions with multiple possible correct answers
reviewed by people incapable of a dialogue about the
technology you are "testing" for.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2011/02/14/what-would-feynman-do.aspx

Is a great example of a test questions for a job interview going bad
with a rant at the end worth reading which starts:

   "Then why would you ask an interview question that tests my willingness
    to abandon industry-standard, well-established techniques...."