[ale] cpu load 8.5 on usb to usb move

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:48:56 EST 2011

load means number of process waiting for service. Since the USB
transfer process locks out other process from running while it does a
request to fetch, fetch, slurp into RAM, request to put, put, verify
put, other process line up and have to wait. The USB copy is a nasty
beast on systems.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> James Sumners wrote:
>> Most of the USB transfer work is done on your processor. It's really
>> that simple.
>
> I understand that.  Why is it that the load average is so high, yet the
> 'mv' process shows 8-11% cpu?
>

>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Geoffrey Myers
>> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>>> I'd really like for someone to explain to me why it is when I attempt to
>>> move a large directory (31g) from one usb device to another, it pushes
>>> my load average up so much:
>>>
>>> load average: 8.08, 5.82, 3.25
>>>
>>> Yet the mv process is consuming 11.6% of my cpu.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Until later, Geoffrey
>>

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.