[ale] OT: gmail question

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Feb 22 17:13:08 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 04:41 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>> So, can someone tell me the purpose of the 'All Mail' 'folder' in gmail?
>>   I delete email and I dump spam, yet there are over 1200+ messages in
>> the 'All Mail' folder.  Many are marked as deleted.
>>
>> Does Google simply keep your email forever???
> in thunderbird, with a gmail IMAP folder, I also have all-mail, and get
> what looks like duplicate messages for everything. They are filtered
> into folders yet stay in all-mail..
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright

GMail does not have a concept of "folders", only labels.  It
represents labels to the IMAP interface as if they were folders.  It
also presents a virtual folder called [Gmail] with a number of
subfolders containing automatically-generated views of your mail, one
of which is all mail, and is aptly named as such.

If you empty your trash and spam, those messages should no longer
appear in all mail.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com