[ale] kernel boot parameters

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Feb 22 12:42:45 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 12:19 -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 09:01 -0800, Boris Borisov wrote:
> > Is there way to pass parameter to the kernel to not load certain module? I have problematic rtl8185b wireless card in which case kernel trying to autoload rtl8180 or rtl8187 modules and the whole system just freezes. This is the case with Ubuntu 10.10, puppy 4.3.x series but not with Mandriva 2010.0. Thanks

> If you are using CentOS/Redhat/RHEL/Fedora Linux...

You can do that this way but probably shouldn't.

> Just open your /etc/modprobe.conf file and turn of auto loading using
> following syntax:
> alias driver-name off

> If you are using Debian / Ubuntu Linux...

Unless you are on a really old version of CentOS, RHEL or Fedora, you
should be using this method there as well.  Except it's
"blacklist.conf".

> open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file and add drivername using following
> syntax:
> blacklist driver-name

I had to do that a while ago on my Asterisk engine for a whole pile of
mISDN modules.  They would cause udev to hang when it was testing those
modules and there were Digium DAHDi (zip) cards in the system.
Apparently the Digium cards look like some sort of ISDN card (well
that's sort of understandable, since they are telephony) but the ISDN
modules did NOT like them.  Could only find it by setting udev into
debug mode and determining where it died during initialization.  Major
PITA.  :-P

Regards,
Mike