[ale] kernel boot parameters

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Tue Feb 22 12:19:25 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 09:01 -0800, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Is there way to pass parameter to the kernel to not load certain module? I have problematic rtl8185b wireless card in which case kernel trying to autoload rtl8180 or rtl8187 modules and the whole system just freezes. This is the case with Ubuntu 10.10, puppy 4.3.x series but not with Mandriva 2010.0. Thanks

If you are using CentOS/Redhat/RHEL/Fedora Linux...

Just open your /etc/modprobe.conf file and turn of auto loading using
following syntax:
alias driver-name off

If you are using Debian / Ubuntu Linux...

open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file and add drivername using following
syntax:
blacklist driver-name

--
Damon