[ale] Data not safe on ssds

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Feb 21 08:57:42 EST 2011

The title of your email doesn't quite match what the link is discussing.

It does not say data isn't safe.

It says securely removing data can't be done using the methods designed
for non-SSD drives but the paper presented talks about methods for doing
this and of course people commenting on it all noted that encryption is
a good way to ameliorate the concern.   Also the article talks about
data on a single drive - if one is running RAID levels other than
mirroring then someone would have to get all of a RAID set to be able to
extract a lot of meaningful data.   My read of the article didn't lead
me to any larger concern for SSDs than I have for mechanical drives.