[ale] changing dash to bash in ubuntu

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Feb 19 09:27:56 EST 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 09:02:35 -0500
Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:

> I had never heard of dash until this thread.
> I did a little googling and it appears that dash does not support 'set
> -o pipefail'.
> That alone is a deal killer for me.

Some very light googling seems to suggest that old school `sh` doesn't
support `pipefail`.  I may be wrong, googling for anything related to
`sh` points to `bash` more often than anything else.

> I have read that who are concerned about the overhead of bash should
> consider pdksh.  pdksh support pipefail.

You're right about the overhead, `pdksh` looks almost identical to
`dash`.

I'm pretty am pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.  I don't really
worry about what shell my system uses for its own scripts.  The only
thing semi-useful that has come out of this whole thing is that it is
finally encouraging people to declare what shell their scripts actually
require.

Pat