[ale] grsync configure error

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Feb 18 12:30:07 EST 2011

On 02/17/2011 11:43 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
>>> What's at the end of config.log?
>>> >>

>> >     paulandcilla:/disk2/software/grsync-1.1.1# sh ./configure
>> >  checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>> >  checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>> >  checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
>> >  checking for gawk... gawk
>> >  checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>> >  checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
>> >  checking for style of include used by make... GNU
>> >  checking for gcc... gcc
>> >  checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>> >  checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in
>> >  `/disk2/software/grsync-1.1.1':
>> >  configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
>> >  If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
>> >  See `config.log' for more details.
>>
> So, what's at the end of config.log?

got the answer... the file system I was trying to run that from was
mounted noexec ...
I NORMALLY save those folders of software under my home, but decided (
something about infinite wisdom..) to save them on my 2nd drive, under a
folder..
those partitions are NO LONGER set to noexec...
oh yeah, but in trying to fix THAT problem I screwed up my entire debian
lenny to the point where it would no longer boot.. so I spent 4 hours
last night & 3 more hours this morning doing a squeeze upgrade + trinity
kde3.5 !
its a beautiful thing! my wife has her nice, comfortable Kmail of old, I
have my nice new gnome, and:
  uname -a
Linux paulandcilla.homelinux.org 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 04:01:41
UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

--
Paul Cartwright