[ale] Two offices, one data pool

William Witt william at witt-family.net
Thu Feb 17 17:54:20 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 17:02 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 12:51 -0600, William Witt wrote:
> > > Though my
> > > understanding is that once I have some sort of AD infrastructure in
> > > place, it becomes possible to do things like have an administrator
> > take
> > > over a user session in order to more easily facilitate
> > troubleshooting
> > > and the like.  At least, that's my hope.
> >
> > That requires either SMS or other third party apps to do, the DoD
> > typically uses SMS.
>
> SMS?

They've changed the name since I was an active sysadmin, it used to be
called Software Management Server (SMS) its now called System Center
Configuration Manager (SCCM).  It also has the ability to install,
inventory, and remove software.  AD and the ability to acts a Domain
Controller are part of Windows Server, SMS was an additional product and
I think SCCM is the same.

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/configuration-manager.aspx

Ah the joys of working in a Windows world.  I'm and enlisted Air Force
programmer, so I can't tell them I don't do Windows.  :(

Speaking of which there are several jobs for Java developers here at
Maxwell AFB, AL if anyone is interested.

Will