[ale] Two offices, one data pool

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:45:11 EST 2011

I would look into using a Cisco WAAS or Riverbed Steelhead unit.  They
both would provide caching and acceleration for cifs clients in the
remote office.  I use a riverbed mobile controller setup and it works
well, especially for users that connect to the office via RAS VPN.  My
clients connect to a samba based file server as well.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAN_optimization for other
vendors and more info on this stuff.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> Short and sweet this one will be.
>
> I have two offices, 500 miles apart.  (Second one is just getting
> started.)  They need access to the same pool of ~ 200 GB data, ideally
> without walking all over top each other.
>
> Presently in use: Samba 3.5, with Windows 7 client systems (can't get
> them to change their minds on that...).
>
> Oh, yeah, and a commodity connection between the two offices.
>
> And the people in both offices are likely to be editing the same files
> at the same time, so some system that works well over low-bandwidth
> links and lets locks be held and communicated between both sides would
> be win/win...  or something where the one server can hold the data and
> the second server can cache data that hasn't yet been invalidated...
>
>        --- Mike

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$