[ale] Two offices, one data pool

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Feb 17 09:17:32 EST 2011

Is that you Yoda?

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Payne
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:53 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Cc: Jim Kinney
Subject: Re: [ale] Two offices, one data pool

Mine vote is on Alfresco, very need you will need to get Tomcat, but
it be customize, as sharepoint and there both a free and paid support
version.

Chuck

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> put the data source where both offices have crappy access speed.
>
> Given the desktop clients they will be using most likely M$office. So
> "shared data" means word files. To prevent clashes you need a document
> management tool. Knowlegetree is one. Alfresco is another.
>
> You _could_ set up a subversion repo and scripts to merge xml docs ....
>
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>> Short and sweet this one will be.
>>
>> I have two offices, 500 miles apart.  (Second one is just getting
>> started.)  They need access to the same pool of ~ 200 GB data, ideally
>> without walking all over top each other.
>>
>> Presently in use: Samba 3.5, with Windows 7 client systems (can't get
>> them to change their minds on that...).
>>
>> Oh, yeah, and a commodity connection between the two offices.
>>
>> And the people in both offices are likely to be editing the same files
>> at the same time, so some system that works well over low-bandwidth
>> links and lets locks be held and communicated between both sides would
>> be win/win...  or something where the one server can hold the data and
>> the second server can cache data that hasn't yet been invalidated...
>>
>>        --- Mike

> James P. Kinney III
> I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo