[ale] Linux GUI or CLI backup tool

Steve Brown scbrown3 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 09:17:20 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM, David Tomaschik
<david at systemoverlord.com>wrote:

> Don't use SpiderOak.  I currently use it, and I loved it at the
> beginning, but it now throws errors more often than not.  I'm probably
> going to use backupninja with duplicity to an s3 back end.

I 2nd the "don't use SpiderOak". I signed up for an account with them a week
ago and had trouble from the beginning. At first, my password wouldn't work
and I had to talk to support who can only cancel your account. The password
magically started working a few days later. I have ~50GB to upload, and the
Linux GUI client would start rescanning all of the files in the middle of
the upload looking for changes. Their Android client, one of the reasons I
went with them, is terrible. I could only download a single file at a time
and would get an error when trying to download a directory. Then, when I go
to cancel the account, I read the Service Agreement which says "Accordingly,
SpiderOak will not make any refunds of any payments made by you". I guess I
should have read that before I signed up for a year, but I'll let the CC
company fight that one.

Anyway, I've since moved to JungleDisk, which so far I can only say good
things about. Their clients seem to work well and will let you mount your
online storage in Linux and Winders. It also allows you to use Amazon S3,
which is nice because then you can use the tools already created for S3 or
use their api.

-Steve Brown