[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Feb 15 06:54:47 EST 2011

Chuck Payne wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> James Sumners wrote:
>>> It's an RPM distro. Which means, despite it being otherwise great,
>>> it's an abhorrent nightmare to deal with.
>> Useless and baseless comment.  Care to elaborate?  I personally prefer
>> rpm over deb, that that's a personal choice.
>
> It's only a night if you don't take the time to under that the basic
>
> rpm -ivh  <--- Install
> rpm -e <-- Uninstall
> rpm -Uvh <-- Upgrade
> rpm -rip <-- Package info
> rpm -qa <-- list packages

You forgot:

rpm --rebuilddb

:)

> I think the comment is made because most dont want to take the time to
> learn, the want something to do it for them. I love the fact SUSE is
> takes a bit of experience.

Fortunately, James followed up his post with the specific issue he had
encountered.  Something I've just not experienced.

> Anyway, zypper is great. So is Yum. Serious what other systems have
> anything like Satellite and Auto Yast Server. The fact you can set
> channels. The power of rpm.

I've never had problems with yum and find it a great tool as well.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson