[ale] SUSE package manager and install empathy

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Mon Feb 14 19:56:31 EST 2011

I have no experience with SLED, but I do admin
RHEL/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu and I much prefer apt.  (It's really, from
an admin standpoint, apt vs yum.)  To me, apt is faster, has a smaller
footprint, and is easier to configure.

I think it's all about opinion.  Some people say that rpm doesn't do
as well at dependency resolution, leading to dependency nightmares,
but to be honest, I think that as of recent distributions, that's no
longer an issue.  They've both become more advanced over time, and the
packaging tools have improved.

David