[ale] OT, sort of, Fivespot from Verizon

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Feb 12 16:13:24 EST 2011

My Aircard has never had the performance I wanted and since my 2 year
contract expired in December, I started investigating what else was out
there.  I travel to places that aren't going to have 4G any time soon,
so I decided I'd stick to a 3G solution.  The Fivespot was recommended.
It's functionally a merger of a wireless router and an Aircard.  I had
to connect it up via a USB connection to the Windows XP side of my
laptop to get started but now I have it hanging off a portlight on the
boat and it's happy as a clam connected to Linux.  I seem to be getting
almost twice the bandwidth as before, but still no great shakes.  It'll
support 5 connected wireless devices, so you can share it.

I have stuck with Verizon because of the coverage.  They have the best
coverage offshore of anyone.  There are only a few places along the east
coast that I've not been able to get a connection.

The cost was zero with a two year contract.  I don't mind contracts.  I
have the 5 Gb for $50 plan.  I never exceeded 3.5 Gb with the old 5 Gb
plan so I didn't think I needed any more.  I don't do videos and the
only large downloads I do are to update the system.  My wife and I share
the laptop however here use is almost exclusively email.

Anyway I wanted to share my experience, in case anyone else was
interested in a similar solution.

Jim.