[ale] How to test your public internet connection for open ports

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Feb 11 16:51:03 EST 2011

Michael T.,

For what it's worth, I just responded to Wolf's post and publicly
acknowledged your and Michael W's, and others' expertise.

I too agree that we've beaten the horse pretty good.  So, I will be
winding down the discussion.  You chose to make these long replies,
which I will review, and selectively reply if I think the reply is
relevant and hasn't been addressed.

However, having said that, many of the things which you said in the
message I snipped below either border on, or are outright personal
attacks on me.  I resent that, and I feel it's not appropriate.  I'm
politely asking you to stop that.

You seem to take comments I've made about the internet, or the
standards, as a personal attack.  They are not a personal attack.

You don't know me.  You don't know anything about me, other than what
I've written.  I am not trolling.  I am posting my opinion on the
subject under discussion, right or wrong, and I am attempting to learn.

As far as my being qualified to give advice on security, the only
qualifications I need are to be more knowledgeable than my family and
friends, which I am; and to know that the advice I give will help them
be more secure, which I do.

The experiences I'm relating go back 5 years or so.  The older routers
in particular, could not be trusted to be adequately set up, either by
default, or by wizard, to be as secure as they could be.  If they've
changed in the past few years for the better, that's great.  I'm fine
with that.

As far as my advice to others regarding security, the following are rock
solid, good pieces of advice for consumers, and I stand by them:

1) Get a router and put it between your PC and the cable modem.

Either by wizard or by manually checking, check and / or change:

2) WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption on with long random password - 20+ digits.
      (WEP will not do.  It is badly broken and can be cracked in a
matter of minutes.  There have been examples of WPA with shorter
passwords being cracked as well.)
3) Default password change
      (Yes, it's only available from the LAN.  If a virus gets loose in
the network, it may try to access the router's configuration and change
it through the setup screen, using the default password.  Not to mention
children and other people that might be accessing the LAN.)
4) NAT on
      (Not security specific but needed for IPv4 setups with multiple
computers.  Probably already on.  Check anyway.)
5) Firewall on
      (Yes, it's probably on already.  Check anyway.)
6) Remote WAN side admin off
      (Yes, it's probably already off. Check anyway.)
7) UPNP off
      (Yes, that breaks some automated setups of games and things.  But
in terms of security, it's a risk.  If a virus gets loos in the network,
many of them will specifically try to exploit UPNP to open holes in the
firewall.  Not only that, sometimes, you never know it's been done.  A
security conscious user would be better off to manually open the ports
he needs for his game.  The friends and family members I advise are not
gamers.)
8) SSID change to something besides Linksys, etc.
      (Not security specific.  Helps you connect to your router rather
than your neighbor's when picking from a list.  Helps your neighbor
connect to his.  I've seen more of this in the past, less now.)

There is absolutely NO reason to advise a consumer any way other than
this, with the possible exception of UPNP, depending on the
circumstances.  These settings work.  And they are entirely appropriate.

In terms of packet rejection or stealthing, the router is going to do
what it's going to do, by design.  The user has no control over it.  I'm
pretty sure the ones I've encountered DROP the packets.  Michael W. and
Greg and I are having a discussion about that, and doing some testing.

The only even remotely questionable things I have advocated are:

A) Test your public IP with GRC Shields Up.
      (Certainly not harmful.  I think it's helpful.)
B) Turn Ping response off.
      (There COULD be some negatives, although I've never observed any.)
C) Change the DHCP server settings for the LAN.
      (Not security related.  A matter of personal taste.  I don't
mention it to most people unless I think there's a reason, or unless I
administer their routers, then I set it myself.  The 3rd octet on my
routers and my Dad's respectively are numbered in a pattern, are all
unique, and are not the default.  Makes it very easy to know what
address to use if I want to access the config screen.  It also makes it
easy to tell which router I'm attached to.  Also, it pretty much
eliminates any possibility that I'll plug in another device and have an
IP collision.  Season to taste.)

Sincerely,

Ron